It’s time to hatch a plan. I’ve been dreaming of adopting a snowbird lifestyle for years but always thought I needed to retire to unlock that level. Lurking in Facebook groups for digital nomads, however, has inspired me not to put off my dream any longer. YOLO, etc. And yes, Tim Ferriss’ bombastic siren song the 4-Hour Workweek is also partly to blame.
I love my hometown of Toronto in late spring, summer, and early fall, but it’s dawned on me that I shouldn’t have to live some place where the weather makes me miserable for the colder half of the year.
What’s slowing my roll?
Over the coming months I’ll be chipping away at several key barriers to becoming a snowbird:
- Getting permission for 6 months of unpaid leave from my traditional desk job.
- Choosing which sunny locale to go to.
- Figuring out how to bring my darling kitties (oh yes, they’re coming).
- Purging all the clutter from my apartment so I can rent it out.
- Getting my full driver’s licence.
Check back to hear how my prep work is going!